2020年2月2日日曜日

George Eliot's English Travels

     This time I read "George Eliot's English Travels". Written by Kathleen McCormack(1943~), Professor of English at Florida International University in North Miami.

     This book is fun but too long for me to finish reading.

"When Marian Evans and George Henry Lewes returned from their German elopement in the spring of 1855, they could scarcely have faced a more daunting combination of scandal, slander, and ostracism."
    I'm a bit surprised because I think elopement in past age doesn't be accepted usually.

"George Eliot's scattered two- and three-day excursions away from London"
     I like this expression "scattered"


"They spent, indeed, about a quarter of the twenty years remaining to them traveling abroad"
     It's so amazing that they spent about 3 years for traveling!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Dr. Dolittle

Yesterday, I watched Dr. Dolittle with Japanese dubbing. The story is comical and funny, and most main characters are animals, not humans so...